Friday 21 September 2012

Having a minor crisis here

I am all of a sudden getting all panicky about my future and what career prospects are ahead of me.
This has all be triggered by a recent blow to my boyfriend's life- getting made redundant. It's been so hard helping him to job hunt and I can just tell it's really getting him down and I can't help but freak out a little and think 'Ahh! I don't want this to happen to me when I come out of uni!'. I'd always just kinda presumed I'd walk out of university with a first straight into some £70k a year investment banking job, but obviously life is never that kind.
I'm currently doing an economics degree in Cardiff university, so if I come out with good grades I guess my prospects look good enough. But what scares me is the fact that there are so many people who are bigger and better than me doing the exact same thing. There is just SO much competition. I need something to help me stand out from the rest, but what? Learn a new language? Do a bunch of courses? Try and get an internship? Of course in a perfect world I'd do all of the above, but my unfortunate geographical location, along with the fact that there is neither enough time nor money in my week, is holding me back.
I somehow need to secure some relevant work experience, but living in a city which has 50% of its shop windows boarded up, while the other 50% consists of charity shops and betting shops is rather easier said that done.
Another spanner in the works is the fact that I have absolutely no idea what career path I want to go down. It's gonna be pretty tricky to find work experience when I've no bloody clue where to look.
So here I am, trawling Google, waiting for some perfect opportunity to slap me in the face and not feeling particularly successful.
Meh.
Well if anyone could give me a hand and suggest any economics/finance/banking related opportunities for undergraduates during the holidays in the South Wales area that would be fantastic.
Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.
I suppose I'd better get writing some begging letters!
Bye all :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Living In Print, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena